Many Americans know that estate planning is something they need to do, but unfortunately think that they can always put it off for another day. Eventually, time will run out, and their families will be the ones who pay the price. Take it from us: there is no time like the present! If you’re intimidated by the estate planning process and unsure of where to start, let Hayes Law Firm help you navigate the journey to protecting your legacy!
Our lead attorney, William Hayes, has over 40 years of legal experience and is well-practiced in California estate and probate laws. Clients who choose to work with us benefit from various advantages, such as free unlimited telephone support, free seminars, free regular Legacy and Estate Plan checkups, and more! Call our office today to schedule your free consultation with our Pasadena estate planning lawyer and learn more about what the process may look like for you!
What Does An Estate Plan Entail?
Estate plans are highly customizable, meaning you can choose what to include or leave out. Our experienced Pasadena estate planning lawyer can help you gain a better understanding of each element, and recommend those that you should have to meet your goals. Some potential options are:
- A will – the traditional legal document which details who will inherit your money and property following your death
- A trust (or combination of trusts) – financial entities to which you transfer assets and that are managed for the benefit of your beneficiaries
- Power of attorney – a legal document which allows you to name a trusted individual who is permitted to make legal, financial, and/or medical decisions on your behalf
- Advance directives (sometimes referred to as living wills) – documents in which you express your wishes for medical care or artificial forms of life support to be used in case you become incapacitated and unable to speak for yourself
- Beneficiary designations – documents detailing the heir(s) who will automatically receive assets like retirement accounts, life insurance policies, and some financial accounts following your death
- Guardianship directives – documents which allow you to name guardians for minor children or dependent adults in the event that you become unable to care for them
- And more!
How Can Having An Estate Plan Benefit Me And My Family?
There are many ways that an estate plan can have a direct and positive impact on you and your family.
- Estate plans put you in charge. Whether the question is how and to whom your assets should be passed on to, who will become the guardians of your minor children in the event of a tragedy, what kind of medical treatment you want for yourself (even if you aren’t able to express those preferences yourself), or something else, you remain in control of making those integral decisions.
- Estate plans are definitive. Estate plans don’t leave a lot of room for doing anything other than what you explicitly desire! This minimizes the risk of your family quarreling over inheritances or suffering over making medical decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated.
- Estate plans offer stronger protection for your assets. Our skilled Pasadena estate planning lawyer can help you take advantage of a variety of tools that safeguard your assets (from outside sources like creditors, nursing homes, or disinherited relatives) such as trusts, “transfer on death” designations, and more.
- Estate plans save your family from an immense amount of legal drama. An estate plan that includes a trust will bypass the California probate process, which can last for up to a year! It is also expensive, and the court costs and filing fees can significantly deplete the wealth of the estate. Lastly, progress can be jeopardized if any lawsuits or will contests arise.
Trust Our Compassionate Pasadena Estate Planning Lawyer To Protect What Matters Most!
We know how difficult it can be to think about your own death, but ultimately, you are paving the way for a brighter future for your family! In our office, you will feel the warmth and friendliness that we strive to serve our clients with, and the true care with which Attorney Hayes will handle your legal needs. Call today to schedule your free consultation and discover how Hayes Law Firm can positively impact your experience.